Alumni Feature: Monica Kinsey

February 17, 2020

Monica Kinsey (BA ‘13, MA ‘19) is the Administrative Coordinator at The Anderson Gallery here on campus. In this position Monica manages exhibitions and events as well as a team of student workers. As she states, “at The Anderson I regularly utilize the administrative, leadership, public speaking, and writing skills that I honed during my time as an Art History student at VCU.”  

Monica received her BA from the department in 2013 and subsequently interned at Page Bond Gallery, her first foray into working in the art world. This opportunity opened the door for involvement elsewhere in the Richmond art community including positions supporting Current Art Fair, 1708 Gallery’s InLight and ADA Gallery.  

Returning to the department in 2017 to earn her MA, Monica remarks that as a Master’s student, “I gained valuable public speaking experience through several avenues, including in-class research presentations, the opportunity to present my qualifying paper at a research symposium, and as an Art Educator through the Art of Nursing program.” Additionally, by serving as the President of the Art History Graduate Student Association, Monica identified professional development opportunities for fellow students and coordinated events with staff and faculty members as well as external organizations. She states that “this experience identifying and facilitating opportunities has been helpful to me at The Anderson, where I strive to do the same for students in this setting.”